Thursday, September 15, 2011

Popped my GrabCad cherry this week

I registered for the site a few months ago when it first opened up.  I threw up my company profile (along with a proper W gang sign) and pretty much forgot about it.   The site was just starting out and I probably should have also uploaded some work up there.  I have no solid excuse but like all things in life, the timing just wasn't right.


my humble profile as of today








For starters I had a bunch of NDA'd work interspersed amongst the FUN work and I was just not organized enough.  I did not have all the 3D models, videos and images within easy reach so it was kinda tricky.


Raw renderings usually go to a render folder in TIFF format and usually with a really large size like 5-12MB each.  Even these awesome renderings need to be tweaked in Photoshop to get them to be just right.


Then, the 3D models end up in SW folder within each project and are usually multi-part assemblies.  Sometimes these assemblies have some parts modeled in-context or references to parts outside the project folder (like a standard part used for reference geometry).  Any of these scenarios call for a proper "pack-n-go" commando which includes every friggin' thing into a zipped file for you.  This all takes time of course, and for most models this isn't something that is done at the end of a regular session.  So it involves opening up the files again and packngoing them in one whack, maybe sneaking in some light cleaning here and there.


When I opened my account, I knew this wasn't something I wanted to 'wing'.  You get only 1 chance to make a good impression and this site looked promising so I refrained from posting anything at all.


Well last Sunday I decided to send up one of my models into the hands of all GrabCad junkies that wanted to tweak my model.  I decided to start out with something light and easy.  I went with the Toy Car which I wrote a Blog Post about not too long ago.






The model isn't all that, but some of the renderings the GC Junkies have posted surely are fun to look at.












I'll keep an eye on what kinda replies I get.  If any cool new renderings are posted I'll update this post or maybe make a new post if the renderings deserve it.  ;)




Until next time,


Antonio Suarez
Industrial Designer